Alabama Immigration Law Blocked...Temporarily
According to the Associated Press, a federal judge temporarily blocked enforcement of Alabama's new law cracking down on illegal immigration.
This is not necessarily a surprise, since this law is considered to be the most aggressive among any state in the U.S. It goes far beyond just ensuring that workers have a right to work in the U.S., it:
- requires schools to verify the citizenship status of students;
- makes it illegal to knowingly assist an illegal immigrant;
- allows police officers to detain suspected illegal immigrants;
- mandatory use of E-Verify for employers;
- makes it illegal for people to NOT report illegal immigrants...
So stay tuned for more and continue to take steps necessary to protect yourself and your company by ensuring that your workers are elgibile to work in the U.S.